STOP, THINK, EAT, SMILE

When you stop and think about what you eat, how and where it was produced, what it is doing for your health, community, and most importantly our earth, your choices should make you smile.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Worms Eat My Garbage Too...

I'd used the "no yard to compost" excuse long enough...now worms eat my garbage!  They love my waste and I love feeding them.  Whether you live in an apartment, rental home, or you hate walking outside to the compost pile, vermicompost is easy enough for you.  

It is an affordable system anyone can put together.  The total cost being ~$35.  All you need is a bin with moist bedding, the right worms, a little soil, and a tray to catch their tea (not for drinking).  The most expensive part of your operation will be the redworms but their appetites are worth every cent.  Other types of worms will not break down your waste as efficiently.  They will account for about 25 dollars of the total cost.  

My Red Wigglers came from Growing Power in Milwaukee, but they are widely available from vendors online.  DON'T buy nightcrawlers from your local bait store, their performance will just disappoint you.

Below I have listed the items you will need for a complete system:
  1. 1 lb redworms (or more depending on your amount of food waste)
  2. 8-10 gallon worm bin (homemade or purchased) and a drill to make holes in the bin
  3. Tray to hold worm bin (sides tall enough to hold worm tea produced in bin)
  4. Moist and shredded copy or newspaper for worm bedding
  5. Handful of soil/dirt
  6. Food scraps (added slowly at first)
I've been vermicomposting for about a month now; the redworms feed on my unused food waste (although they're picky, so research the do's and don'ts) and slowly they're breaking it down and making an amazing soil I'll use to garden this spring.  It may sound gross at first but it's not, and anyone willing can do it and the results are SO very worth it!  

Here are a couple links to help you on your way:
You could also rent the book Worms Eat My Garbage from your local library.  Happy Worming!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Layne!!! Can you use them for bait???Uncle Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh!! that is the best thing ever! i want to do it!! just catching up on yer blog, laynie....i heart you!!!

    ReplyDelete